Re: RFC: V4L2 API ambiguities

On Mon October 15 2012 13:35:45 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> During the Plumbers Conference a few weeks ago we had a session to resolve V4L2
> ambiguities. It was very successful, but we didn't manage to tackle two of the
> harder topics, and a third one (timestamps) cause a lot of discussion on the
> mailinglist after the conference.
>
> So here is the list I have today. Any other ambiguities or new features that
> should be added to the list?

I've got another:

Right now there are no standard ioctls that one could call for a v4l-subdev node
to discover whether the device node is really a subdev node. For other v4l nodes
we have QUERYCAP, but that's not available for subdev nodes.

I propose that QUERYCAP support is added (and will be required) for subdev nodes.
The capabilities field will be set to V4L2_CAP_SUBDEVICE only (at least for now).
All other fields of v4l2_capability are just as valid for subdevs as they are for
normal v4l devices.

Regards,

	Hans