RE: Proposal for the addition of a binary V4L2 control type

Hi Hans

Well, yes, if keys goes up to the user space, yes those 2 ioctls will be needed.
But another ioctl or control will also be needed to ENABLE & DiSABLE the HDCP / HDCP encryption I think.
This doesn't always have to be enable so it should be necessary to allow triggering that.

> > I can however think about some cases where passing such binary controls is
> better than ioctl in case of it is necessary achieve several settings in an atomic
> way (which is I believe one of the merit of ext_control). Still in the field of
> HDMI-TX I can at least think about setting video post processing setting
> tables & mode change at the same time for example.
> > If one setting is already available via a control and the other one has to be
> done via an ioctl, then it becomes hard to ensure that this is done in an
> atomic way back at the driver level.
> >
> > So, in short, for HDCP keys, there might not be a problem with ioctl but for
> other HDMI-TX settings, I'm afraid we will face problems.
> >
> > I am preparing some proposal for some new HDMI-TX controls (or ioctl ?)
> for things like SPD, AVMUTE, CONTENT_TYPE etc, I guess we could discuss
> about that problem again at that time.
>
> A lot of the stuff that's in InfoFrames lends itself perfectly to controls.
> They are both simple types and have clear semantics.

Well at least SPD data that are (product name, vendor name, type) are a group of data.
So if this is provided via controls (ext), then it will require to the application to set all 3 controls (string, string, integer) in a same s_ext_control in order to avoid getting only a partial SPD data update.
Or we can rely on yet another ioctl (s_spd) to pass all 3 datas at the same time.