Re: tda18271 driver power consumption

Em Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:58:24 -0400
Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Antti Palosaari <crope@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 09/28/2012 12:20 AM, Michael Krufky wrote:

> > Mike, There is other problem too. PCTV 520e, which is Em28xx + DRX-K +
> > TDA18271, fails to attach tuner now. Tuner is wired behind DRX-K I2C bus.
> > TDA18271 driver does very much I/O during attach and I2C error is raised
> > during attach now. Earlier it worked as DRX-K firmware was downloaded before
> > tuner was attached, but now both DRX-K fw download and tuner attach happens
> > same time leading that error.
>
> Why is the DRX-K firmware downloading at the same time as tuner
> attach?  Shouldn't the demod attach be finished before the tuner
> attach begins?

Michael,

What happens is that udev changes forced drivers to load firmware asynchronously,
as, otherwise, udev won't load any firmware at all. Also, there's no warranty that
the firmware will be loaded on 2 seconds or so (Anti's hack were to add a 2 seconds
wait after drxk atttach, to wait for firmware load).

What I suspect is that tda18271 init is being interruped in the middle, by the
drxk firmware load. If this is the case, the solution is clean and quick: just
use the new i2c_lock_adapter() way to lock the I2C bus to tda18271 during the
critical part of the code where the register init happens.

--
Regards,
Mauro