Re: [RFC] Timestamps and V4L2

On Sun September 23 2012 15:07:24 Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On Sat September 22 2012 14:38:07 Sakari Ailus wrote:
> >> Hi Hans,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the comments.

> >> Thanks for correcting me.

> >> Good point. I thought that as other properties of the buffers are
> >> specific to file handles, including format when using CREATE_BUFS, it'd
> >> make sense to make the timestamp source file-handle specific as well.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > I don't think it makes sense to have different streams from the same device
> > use different clocks.

> >> Thanks for adding this. I knew I was forgetting something but didn't
> >> remember what --- I swear it was unintentional! :-)
> >>
> >> If we'd add more clocks without providing an ability to choose the clock
> >> from the user space, how would the clock be selected? It certainly isn't
> >> the driver's job, nor I think it should be system-specific either
> >> (platform data on embedded systems).
> >
> > IF a driver supports more than one clock (which I really don't see happening
> > anytime soon), then we either need a control to select the clock or an ioctl.
>
> The timestamps can be taken from any standard clock using a helper
> function. Right now drivers call do_gettimeofday() or ktime_get_ts(),
> it's the same whether the function was called e.g. v4l2_get_ts(). The
> driver doesn't even need to know which timer is being used to make that
> timestamp. It used to be the realtime clock and soon it's the monotonic
> clock. So I really don't see why the timestamp source should depend on
> the driver. It rather depends on what the user wants.
>
> That said, I also don't see use for other clocks _right now_ than the
> monotonic one.
>
> > And something as well to enumerate the available clocks. I'm leaning towards
> > ioctls, but I think this should be decided if we ever get an actual use-case
> > for this.
>
> I think it should be a control --- I see no reason to add new IOCTLs
> when controls are equally, or even better, fit for the same job. But
> let's decide this only when the functionality is needed.

Yes, please. I think it is premature to talk about how to select a clock,
since I doubt we will ever need it. We just need a way to tell the app which
clock is being used (which in practice is either UNKNOWN or MONOTONIC), and
keep the option of adding other clocks open.

For M2M devices it is possible to select different clocks per-filehandle,
so that precludes having a QUERYCAP capability (that was a good point that
Sylwester made). Adding a clock mask to the buffer flags does exactly what
we need IMHO.

> >> It's up to the application and its needs. That would suggest we should
> >> always provide monotonic timestamps to applications (besides a potential
> >> driver-specific timestamp), and for that purpose the capability flag ---
> >> I admit I disliked the idea at first --- is enough.
> >>
> >> What comes to buffer flags, the application would also have to receive
> >> the first buffer from the device to even know what kind of timestamps
> >> the device uses, or at least call QUERYBUF. And in principle the flag
> >> should be checked on every buffer, unless we also specify the flag is
> >> the same for all buffers. And at certain point this will stop to make
> >> any sense...
> >
> > It should definitely be the same for all buffers. And since apps will
> > typically call querybuf anyway I don't see this as a problem. These
> > clocks are also specific to the streaming I/O API, so reporting this as
> > part of that API makes sense to me as well.
>  >
> >> A capability flag is cleaner solution from this perspective, and it can
> >> be amended by a control (or an ioctl) later on: the flag can be
> >> disregarded by applications whenever the control is present.
> >
> > Yuck.
>
> What's so bad in it then? The user doesn't need to start dealing with
> buffers whenever (s)he needs to know what kind of timestamps the device
> provides.
>
> Timestamps are also used on the event interface (and also on subdevs),
> which currently uses monotonic timestamps (at least it was intended to
> do so, it's missing from the documentation). The timestamps on V4L2 and
> V4L2 subdev must match to be useful for the application, so we should
> not allow using other clock than monotonic before we truly make the
> timestamp source selectable by the application.
>
> A flash subdev, for example, could produce events while the driver
> producing timestamps for the video buffers doesn't know the type of the
> timestamp used by the flash driver. One still must be able to compare
> the two in the user space to make use of them.
>
> I'm ok-ish with using video buffer flags to tell the type of the
> timestamp, but those flags might not be useful (like the capability
> flag) if the timestamp source is made selectable. What I still don't
> like is that you have to start dealing with buffers before you know what
> kind of timestamps you're getting.

If in the future we want to be able to select clock sources, then that
will automatically also provide a way of querying the current clock source
outside of the buffer flags. In the meantime, having the clock source as
part of the buffer flags solves the current problem with a minimum of fuss,
and even allows for switching clock sources on the fly should we ever want
that (highly unlikely, I admit).

> I'd like to have Laurent's and Remi's opinion before proceeding to the
> implementation.

> >> That should be an union for different kinds (or rather types) of
> >> device-dependent timestamps. On uvcvideo I think this is u32, not u64.
> >> We should be also able to tell what kind device dependent timestamp
> >> there is --- should buffer flags be used for that as well?
> >
> > That's definitely part of the buffer flags. The presence of timecode is already
> > signalled using that. And not every buffer may have device timestamps (that
> > depends on the hardware), so you have to signal it through the buffer flags.
> >
> > An anonymous union might be best with the buffer flags signalling the type of
> > the union. What I don't know is how to specify the type. Shall we just specify
> > the type of the union (e.g. 4 u32 fields or 2 u64 fields) and leave the
> > interpretation of those fields up to the application based on the driver name?
> > Or shall the type act more like a fourcc in that it also uniquely identifies
> > the interpretation of the timestamps?
>
> I think it should uniquely identify it, at least if the MPEG timestamps
> produced by some devices are relevant for video buffers. In this case it
> wouldn't make much sense for the applications having to know what are
> the drivers producing such timestamps. And this might not be the only
> case like that.
>
> > Or should all device timestamps be converted to a timespec by the driver?
>
> Good question.

I'm leaning towards this, actually. What's the point of a device timestamp if
you don't know what the units are? And if you do, then you can convert it.

> > Answers on a postcard.
>
> Who are you going to send it? ;-)

What's your address? :-)

Regards,