Re: pac7302-webcams and libv4lconvert interaction

Hi,

On 09/12/2012 04:36 PM, Frank Schäfer wrote:

<snip>

And a negative side effect is, that unknown pac7302 devices (with no
V4LCONTROL_ROTATED_90_JPEG entry in libv4lconvert) do not work.
With a consistent API behavior, they would work fine (output a rotated
image). Users would at least know that their device is working and most
of them know what to do next.
For image rotation, we still need to add an entry to libv4lconvert and
to modify it to invert the width and height values in v4l2_pix_format in
this case.

That is a good point, unfortunately we are stuck with how we are doing
things now, since changing things would break the kernel ABI.

Also ...

The device I have here is a good example: many people reported this
device as not working years ago, one of them even got a hint in a forum
that this could be a pac7302 device 2 years ago.
But with the gpsca-pac7302 driver, he got no picture and gave up.
And if I had not started q4vl2 from the terminal and had noticed the
error message from libv4lconvert, I would have needed much more time to
find out what's wrong...

True, OTOH just having this fixed won't help a regular user, as he/she
would still need to first add the new usb-id to the pac7302 driver...

Regards,

Hans