Re: [Workshop-2011] V4L2 API ambiguities: workshop presentation

On Fri August 17 2012 12:35:58 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've prepared a presentation for the upcoming workshop based on my RFC and the
> comments I received.
>
> It is available here:
>
> http://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/presentations/v4l2-workshop-2012.odp
> http://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/presentations/v4l2-workshop-2012.pdf
>
> Attendees of the workshop: please review this before the workshop starts. I
> want to go through this list fairly quickly (particularly slides 1-14) so we
> can have more time for other topics.

One additional topic:

The V4L2 API has a number of experimental API elements, see:

	http://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/spec/media.html#experimental

The following have been in use for a considerable amount of time I and propose
to drop the experimental tag:

Video Output Overlay (OSD) Interface, the section called “Video Output Overlay Interface”.

V4L2_BUF_TYPE_VIDEO_OUTPUT_OVERLAY, enum v4l2_buf_type, Table 3.3, “enum v4l2_buf_type”.

V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_OUTPUT_OVERLAY, VIDIOC_QUERYCAP ioctl, Table A.92, “Device Capabilities Flags”.

VIDIOC_ENUM_FRAMESIZES and VIDIOC_ENUM_FRAMEINTERVALS ioctls.

VIDIOC_G_ENC_INDEX ioctl.

VIDIOC_ENCODER_CMD and VIDIOC_TRY_ENCODER_CMD ioctls.

VIDIOC_DECODER_CMD and VIDIOC_TRY_DECODER_CMD ioctls.

While the (TRY_)DECODER_CMD ioctls are strictly speaking new to V4L2 (appearing
in 3.4) they started life as identical ioctls (although with a different name)
in dvb/video.h.

Other than being renamed and folded into the V4L2 specification they are quite
old as well.

Regards,

	Hans