Re: [RFC API] Renumber subdev ioctls

Em 20-08-2012 05:30, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
> Hi all!
>
> Recently I had to add two new ioctls for the subdev API (include/linux/v4l2-subdev.h)
> and I noticed that the numbering of the ioctls was somewhat random.
>
> In most cases the ioctl number was the same as the V4L2 API counterpart, but for
> subdev-specific ioctls no rule exists.
>
> There are a few problems with this: because of the lack of rules there is a chance
> that in the future a subdev ioctl may end up to be identical to an existing V4L2
> ioctl. Also, because the numbering isn't nicely increasing it makes it hard to create
> a lookup table as was done for the V4L2 ioctls. Well, you could do it, but it would
> be a very sparse array, wasting a lot of memory.
>
> Lookup tables have proven to be very useful, so we might want to introduce them for
> the subdev core code as well in the future.
>
> Since the subdev API is still marked experimental, I propose to renumber the ioctls
> and use the letter 'v' instead of 'V'. 'v' was used for V4L1, and so it is now
> available for reuse.

'v' is already used (mainly by fs):

'v'	00-1F	linux/ext2_fs.h		conflict!
'v'	00-1F	linux/fs.h		conflict!
'v'	00-0F	linux/sonypi.h		conflict!
'v'	C0-FF	linux/meye.h		conflict!

Reusing the ioctl numbering is a bad thing, as tracing code like strace will likely
say that a different type of ioctl was called.

(Yeah, unfortunately, this end by merging with duplicated stuff :< )

Also, I don't like the idea of deprecating it just because of that: interfaces are
supposed to be stable.

It should be noticed that there are very few ioctls there. So,
using a lookup table is overkill.

IMO, the better is to sort the ioctl's there at the header file, in order to
avoid ioctl duplicaton.