Re: [ANNOUNCE] tree renaming patches part 1 applied

Em 14-08-2012 10:53, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
> On Tue August 14 2012 13:59:43 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Yesterday, I finally applied the first part of the renaming patches:
>>
>>  * [RFC,10/10,media] break siano into mmc and usb directories
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11755/
>>
>>  * [RFC,09/10,media] saa7146: Move it to its own directory
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11750/
>>
>>  * [RFC,07/10,media] b2c2: break it into common/pci/usb directories
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11754/
>>
>>  * [RFC,03/10,media] move the dvb/frontends to drivers/media/dvb-frontends
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11752/
>>
>>  * [RFC,05/10,media] dvb-usb: move it to drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11751/
>>
>>  * [RFC,06/10,media] Rename media/dvb as media/pci
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11753/
>>
>>  * [RFC,04/10,media] firewire: move it one level up
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11746/
>>
>>  * [RFC,02/10,media] dvb: move the dvb core one level up
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11747/
>>
>>  * [RFC,08/10,media] common: move media/common/tuners to media/tuners
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11748/
>>
>>  * [RFC,01/10,media] v4l: move v4l2 core into a separate directory
>>      - http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11749/
>>
>> As discussed when that patch series got submitted, the target there is to
>> better organize the drivers, in order to make easier for developers to
>> know where the things are, and for users to help them to find their
>> needed drivers.
>>
>> I'll be working today with the remaining patches to complete the renaming,
>> as it is better to apply them sooner than later, and we're early at the
>> development cycle.
>>
>> Before applying this patch series, I applied almost all pending patches
>> at the tree, in order to reduce the need for patch changes. I also
>> reminded on IRC some developers that I was aware that they would be
>> having pending work.
>>
>> Anyway, in order to help people that might still have patches against
>> the old structure, I created a small script and added them at the
>> media_build tree:
>> 	http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git/blob/HEAD:/devel_scripts/rename_patch.sh
>>
>> (in fact, I created an script that auto-generated it ;) )
>>
>> To use it, all you need to do is:
>>
>> 	$ ./rename_patch.sh your_patch
>>
>> As usual, if you want to change several patches, you could do:
>> 	$ git format_patch some_reference_cs
>>
>> and apply the rename_patch.sh to the generated 0*.patch files, like
>> 	$ for i in 0*.patch; do ./rename_patch.sh $i; done
>>
>> More details about that are at the readme file:
>> 	http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git/blob/HEAD:/devel_scripts/README
>
> Mauro, thank you for your work on this!

Anytime!

> I'm sure that due to these changes the daily build will fail. It did last night,
> but due to a bug in the build script it hung and didn't produce an error report,
> something that is now hopefully fixed.

Yeah, we may need to apply some fixed at the build system.
Just running:

	$ for i in backports/*.patch; do devel_scripts/rename_patch.sh $i; done

Is likely enough to fix them, if isn't there any other non-related bug.

> I'll wait with updating anything in media_build or elsewhere until the whole
> reorganization is finished. Mauro, can you drop me an email when you think
> everything is done? Then I can work on getting the daily build back up.
>
> Are you planning to update the backport patches in media_build as well?

I prefer if you could do it, instead. It is very likely that, after running
the above command and committing the diffs, the building system will work
again. All you'll likely need is to run the media_build against old kernels
and see if all patches apply.

Regards,
Mauro