Supporting 3D formats in V4L2

Hi everyone,
    Currently there is limitation in v4l2 for specifying the 3D
formats . In HDMI 1.4 standard, the following 3D formats are
specified:

      1. FRAME_PACK,
      2. FIELD_ALTERNATIVE,
      3. LINE_ALTERNATIVE,
      4. SIDE BY SIDE FULL,
      5. SIDE BY SIDE HALF,
      6. LEFT + DEPTH,
      7. LEFT + DEPTH + GRAPHICS + GRAPHICS-DEPTH,
      8. TOP AND BOTTOM

In addition for some of the formats like Side-by-side-half there are
some additional metadata (like type of horizontal sub-sampling) and
parallax information which may be required for programming the display
processing pipeline properly.

I am not very sure on how to expose this to the userspace. This is an
inherent property of video signal  , hence it would be appropriate to
have an additional field in v4l_format to specify 3D format. Currently
this is a requirement for HDMI 1.4 Rx / Tx but in the future it would
be applicable to broadcast sources also.

In our implementation we have temporarily defined a Private Control to
expose this .

Please let me know of your suggestions .

Best Regards
Soby Mathew