Re: unload/unplugging (Re: success! (Re: media_build and Terratec Cinergy T Black.))

--- On Sat, 7/7/12, Antti Palosaari <crope@xxxxxx> wrote:

<snipped>
> > I am thinking either w_scan is doing something it
> should not, in which case we should inform its author to
> have this looked at, or the message does not need to be
> there?
>
> As scandvb and all the other applications are able to set
> desired
> parameters without that error it must be w_scan issue.

But scandvb does not work at all in my case (or rather, the bundled tuning files were wrong/out-dated).

> And personally I don't care whole warning, returning some
> error code
> (which is likely -EINVAL) should be enough. It is not error
> situation in
> the mean of Kernel or device error - it is just user error
> as user tries
> to set unsupported frequency.

It is possibly just too much information in klog/dmesg .

> >> physically pulled out. But the kernel module does
> not like
> >> to be unloaded (modprobe -r) while mplayer is
> running, so we
> >> need to fix that.
> >>
> >> Yep, seems to refuse unload. I suspect it is
> refused since
> >> there is ongoing USB transmission as it streams
> video. But
> >> should we allow that? And is removing open device
> nodes OK
> >> as applications holds those?
> >
> > I am thinking about suspend/resume, the poorman's way,
> which is to unload/reload. One interesting thing to try
> would be to pause but not quit the application - either just
> press pause, or say, 'gdb <mplayerbinary>
> <pid>', and see if 'modprobe -r' can be made to work
> under that sort of condition, if it isn't already.
>
> hmm, what is that kind of suspend/resume?
> Is that different what is now implemented?

In the good old days, for drivers which does not suspend/hibernate well, one can add a file /etc/pm/config.d/myfile containing SUSPEND_MODULES="modname" to get them unloaded on suspend. Does it work with mplayer/vlc running or pausing?