channel scanning (Re: success! (Re: media_build and Terratec Cinergy T Black.))

--- On Sat, 7/7/12, Antti Palosaari <crope@xxxxxx> wrote:

<snipped>
> > scandvb still does not work at all, nor those sample
> config files under
> /usr/share/doc/dvb-apps-1.1.2/channels-conf/dvb-t/* , or use
> those (tried about 6 different transmitter config various
> distance away). It is also true that I have poor reception:
> all the BBC* channels seems to work okay - about 18 channels
> - but none of the non-BBC stations. Also they are not there
> on a 2nd scan, so I guess they are weaker.
>
> UK is a little bit special case as it uses different channel
> raster. I
> just looked and there seems to be "auto-With167kHzOffsets"
> which could
> be used. It scans all the possible channels using auto
> parameter detection.

Those files (dvb-t/uk-{regions}) are not in the dvb-apps hg repo, so I don't know where they came from, but considered that they don't work for me at all (and w_scan does find some), their contents are either wrong or outdated.

The fedora package changelog possibly says tuning files are kept elsewhere and were last updated over 2 years ago - I know it is probably cliche to assume every *.fi person knows every other *.fi person, but do you? :-)

* Sat Jun 05 2010 Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@xxxxxx> - 1.1.1-22
- Patch to fix dvbnet -h crash (#597604).
- Update tuning files to 20100605.

> > So obviously there are a lot of rough edges. I also
> think it is a bit stupid for w_scan not to offer writing
> *all* the formats, since all the information should be there
> after a scan. It takes about 8 minutes to do a full scan. It
> would be more logical to generate all the channels.conf
> formats on one scan, and let the user throw away the ones he
> does not need, if it takes that long to do a full scan.
>
> Yes there is. There is no many desktop applications
> supporting DVB and
> even less applications having own channels scanner.

With a full scan taking 8 minutes (and quick "assisted" scan based on presets not working at all), channel-scanning can't really be modularized and built into an application. Actually even w_scan needs assistance about which *country*.
Also a typical user might like to try a few different applications. I use mplayer-derivatives - mplayer, gmplayer, gnome-mplayer, dragonplayer - mostly because of its widest/earliest codec support, but I am not against using another if it offers more DVB-centric user-interface. I really think w_scan should by default write all variants of channels.conf formats, or a master-form convertable to others, just to save the 8 minutes of re-scan. (being able to convert quickly, or for application to standardize would be nice, but seeing as the formats have different info, that idea does not seem likely).