bugs in dvbscan/scan, dvb-apps(Re: media_build and Terratec Cinergy T Black.)

--- On Fri, 6/7/12, Hin-Tak Leung <htl10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snipped>
> > > - 'scandvb' segfault at the end on its own.
> >
> > I didn't see that.
>
> This is fc17's - it does so in a string function (v*printf)
> - probably easy to fix if/when I get the debuginfo package,
> if it isn't fixed upstream already.

I got hold of the debuginfo, and found the bug - it is in bad_usage() in dvb-apps/util/scan/scan.c, line 2583 (case 2). The format strings contains two %s, but that statement only supply one:

   fprintf (stderr, usage, pname);

Who should I report this to? (not very good with mercury at the moment...).

running scandvb on its own is supposed to result in an input file listing then print usage; on fc17 it segfaults while printing usage; on a mercury source build, it fills the 2nd %s with some random other string from the program itself.

<snipped>
> > There is both dvbscan and scandvb in Fedora dvb-apps.
> It is
> > not clear for me why two similar looking tools. Anyhow
> it is
> > just scandvb which I found working one.
>
> I just found a dvbv5-scan on my harddisk (fc17) also, and
> dvbscan is in locate.db but gone. Apparently one might be
> 'scan' but too confusing and got its name changed during
> packaging.

Found the reason how/why it was gone while I was looking for debuginfo (see change log entry):

The fedora packager withdrew dvbscan: "drop dvbscan as it's obsolete/broken" - changelog June 26.