Re: capture_mem limitations in OMAP ISP

Hi Michael,

On Tuesday 03 July 2012 11:46:33 Michael Jones wrote:
> Hi Laurent & co.,
>
> I'm looking at the memory limitations in the omap3isp driver. 'struct
> isp_video' contains member 'capture_mem', which is set separately for each
> of our v4l2 video device nodes. The CCDC, for example, has capture_mem =
> 4096 * 4096 * 3 = 48MB, while the previewer and resizer each have twice
> that. Where do these numbers come from?

That's mostly historical. When developing the driver for the N900 we set a
limit to avoid putting too much pressure on the system memory, and 3x8MP
buffers was considered to be enough.

We could raise the limit, remove it completely, or implement a policy
mechanism to let a privileged userspace application specify limits. The later
might be interesting as a core V4L2 mechanism.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart