DVB core enhancements - comments please?

Here is my list of needed DVB core related changes. Feel free to comment - what are not needed or what you would like to see instead. I will try to implement what I can (and what I like most interesting :).

general validly checking for demodulator callback input values
* currently each driver needs to validate those
* values are highly hooked up to used television standard
* we can do almost all validly checking inside core
* we can also check if call is possible to perform in given condition
* for example BER is not valid when demod is unlocked

suspend / resume support
* support is currently quite missing, all what is done is on interface drivers
* needs power management
* streaming makes it hard
* quite a lot work to get it working in case of straming is ongoing

use Kernel power management instead of own
* there seems to be Kernel services for power-management
* study if it is wise to use Kernel services instead of own
* own PM is still working very well, at least I dont know any problems

SDR - Softaware Defined Radio support DVB API
* http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/44461
* there is existing devices that are SDR (RTL2832U "rtl-sdr")
* SDR is quite near what is digital TV streaming
* study what is needed
* new delivery system for frontend API called SDR?
* some core changes needed, like status (is locked etc)
* how about demuxer?
* stream conversion, inside Kernel?
* what are new parameters needed for DVB API?

DTMB standard support for DVB API
* it is Chinese DTV standard
* I already ran RFC but have been too busy for implementing it :]

LNA (low-noise amplifier) support for DVB API
* there is quite a lot of devices having LNA
* currently not supported => LNA is configured off typically

offer polling method for statistics
* many static counters could not be read as a "one go"
* typical cycle is : start measurement => wait => read counters
* some drivers starts own internal work-queue for polling (complexity)
* some drivers blocks IOCTL when taking measurement (bad)

fix frontend properties
* those has been broken since MFE => SFE change
* currently implemented as a properties per driver
* need to be properties per delivery system
* are broken because driver/chip could support multiple DTV standards

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/