Re: extend v4l2_mbus_framefmt

>>> No, you add g/s_std instead. SD timings are set through that API. It is
>>> not so
>>> much that you give explicit timings, but that you give the SD standard.
>>> And from
>>> that you can derive the timings (i.e., one for 60 Hz formats, and one for
>>> 50 Hz
>>> formats).
>>>
>> Yes, it's a solution for decoder. I can convert one by one. But how
>> about sensors?They can output VGA, QVGA or any manual resolution.
>> My question is why we can't add these blanking details in
>> v4l2_mbus_framefmt? This structure is used to describe frame format on
>> media bus. And I believe blanking data also transfer on this bus. I
>> know most hardwares don't care about blanking areas, but some hardware
>> such as PPI does. PPI can capture ancillary data both in herizontal
>> and vertical interval. Even it works in active video only mode, it
>> expects to get total timing info.
>

> Since I don't know what you are trying to do, it is hard for me to give
> a good answer.
>
> So first I'd like to know if this is related to the adv7842 chip? I think
> you are talking about how this is done in general, and not specifically in
> relationship to the adv7842. At least, I can't see how/why you would
> hook up a sensor to the adv7842.
Yes, I want to have a general solution.

> Sensor configuration is a separate topic, and something I am not an
> expert on. People like Sakari Ailus and Laurent Pinchart know much
> more about that than I do.
>
> I know that there is some support for blanking through low-level image
> source
> controls:
>
> http://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/spec/media.html#image-source-controls
>
> This is experimental and if this is insufficient for your requirements than
> I suggest posting a message where you explain what you need, CC-ing the
> people
> I mentioned,
>
> Most of these APIs are quite new and by marking them as experimental we can
> make changes later if it turns out it is not good enough.
I remember I have discussed this topic with Sakari before but without
working out a solution.
In conclusion, my current solution is:
if (HD)
    dv_timings
else if (SD)
    fill in according to PAL/NTSC timings
else
    get control of V4L2_CID_HBLANK/V4L2_CID_VBLANK

I guess this can solve my problem. But it's a bit complicated. If
v4l2_mbus_framefmt contains thes members, it's convenient and simple.