Re: [linux-uvc-devel] [RFC] Media controller entity information ioctl [was "Re: [patch] suggestion for media framework"]

Hi Robert,

On Monday 04 June 2012 10:11:33 Robert Krakora wrote:
> When you say "static" you mean items that are "well known" by the system by
> reading a registry at initialization?

By static I mean items that are initialized at driver initialization time and
not modified afterwards. I don't think we should support adding/removing items
at runtime, at least in the first version.

> When a new device exposes functionality that necessitates the creation of a
> new "static" item then how does the registry get updated to reflect this or
> am I misunderstanding?

Item types should be defined in a kernel header and documented. If a driver
needs a new item types, the driver developer should add the new type to the
header and document it.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart