Re: RTL28XX driver

On 06.04.2012 12:11, Thomas Mair wrote:
i own a TerraTec Cinergy T Stick Black device, and was able to find a
working driver for the device. It seems to be, that the driver was
originally written by Realtek and has since been updated by different
Developers to meet DVB API changes. I was wondering what would be the
necessary steps to include the driver into the kernel sources?

The one thing that needs to be solved before even thinking about the
integration, is the licencing of the code. I did find it on two
different locations, but without any licencing information. So
probably Realtek should be contacted. I am willing to deal with that,
but need furter information on under whitch lisence the code has to be
relased.

So far, I put up a Github repository for the driver, which enables me
to compile the proper kernel modue at
https://github.com/tmair/DVB-Realtek-RTL2832U-2.2.2-10tuner-mod_kernel-3.0.0
The modificatioins to the driver where taken from openpli
http://openpli.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=openpli/openembedded;a=blob;f=recipes/linux/linux-etxx00/dvb-usb-rtl2832.patch;h=063114c8ce4a2dbcf8c8dde1b4ab4f8e329a2afa;hb=HEAD

In the driver sources I stumbled accross many different devices
containig the RTL28XX chipset, so I suppose the driver would enably
quite many products to work.

As I am relatively new to the developement of dvb drivers I appreciate
any help in stabilizing the driver and proper integration into the dvb
API.

Biggest problem here is missing demodulator driver. RTL2832U chip integrates demod called RTL2832. DVB USB device contains logically three entity: USB-interface, demodulator and tuner. All those needs own Kernel driver. In case of RTL2832U there is already RTL28XXU USB -interface driver ready as I did it for RTL2831U. Those two chips uses basically same USB -interface but demodulator is different. During the RTL2831U development I also ran RTL2832U device using same USB -interface driver so I know it works.

So look example from RTL2831U (which is Kernel modules: dvb_usb_rtl28xxu and rtl2830) and try to implement new demod driver.

You will also need RF-tuner driver, which may or may not exists depending your device. There is a lot of existing tuner driver but unfortunately RTL2832U designs uses a lot of new tuners and thus no existing drivers for all.

There is no developer working for RTL2832U supports currently AFAIK.

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/