Re: [GIT PULL FOR 3.5] AF9035/AF9033/TUA9001 => TerraTec Cinergy T Stick [0ccd:0093]

Ooops forget to comment these...

On 01.04.2012 13:27, Hans-Frieder Vogt wrote:
Your new firmware loader implies that the firmware is available as a type
"download firmware". It seems this is indeed the case for most (all?) of the
AF9035 devices. If the IT9135 driver should be merged, the "copy firmware"
functionality (i.e. scatter write =>  command code 0x29) would need to be
implemented.

Technically correct way is to split out all functionality, I mean USB -interface, demodulator and tuner, as own driver modules and use same modules for all the hardware not caring integration level. Those are just logical entities put to inside same silicon or sold separately.

For the existing IT9135 driver, it is there and surely will not be removed unless it goes unmaintained. Still it is nice to offer modular implementation as a choice for upcoming devices.

I haven't looked so carefully IT9135 FW download process - only thing I noticed it uses totally much smaller firmware than af9035, which is somehow weird since it contains tuner which is main difference between af9035 and it9135 :) Maybe there is done some bug fixing or other improvements in silicon level too.

It is easy to implement 2 or more firmware downloader, one for each firmware type and select correct by driver.

I extracted three firmwares from windows binaries I have. I will sent
those you, Michael, for testing. First, and oldest, is TUA9001, 2nd is
from FC0012 device and 3rd no idea.

md5sum f71efe295151ba76cac2280680b69f3f
LINK=11.5.9.0 OFDM=5.17.9.1

That was from TerraTec Cinergy T -Stick, the stick which was one of the first af9035 and I originally made driver for.

md5sum 7cdc1e3aba54f3a9ad052dc6a29603fd
LINK=11.10.10.0 OFDM=5.33.10.0

Some DealExtreme cheap stick.

md5sum 862604ab3fec0c94f4bf22b4cffd0d89
LINK=12.13.15.0 OFDM=6.20.15.0

I have got a firmware converted from the linux driver version 1.0.28 for the
AVermedia AVerTV A867R (07ca:1867, tuner: MaxLinear Mxl5007t)
LINK=10.10.3.0 OFDM=4.21.6.251
(only 2 firmwares each for link and ofdm!)

For the same device the Windows driver verion 8.0.0.60 has a load of firmwares
with
LINK=11.15.10.0 OFDM=5.48.10.0
(3 firmwares each for link and ofdm)

 From the Terratec T6 dual tuner device (fc0012) Windows driver version
10.09.20.01 I have got (is probably the one that you have got as well)
LINK=12.13.15.0 OFDM=6.20.15.0
(3 firmwares each for link and ofdm)

True.

I got an e-mail from Terratec support that they don't see a problem with the
distribution of the firmware that I sniffed from the Terratec T6 running under
Windows.

The Terratec Windows driver contains 3 firmwares that get selected depending on
the available tuner:
firmware 1 for tuners TUA8010, TUA9001, TD1316AFIHP, TDA18271, TDA18291HN,
XC3028L, XC4000, FC2580, FC0011, PICTOR, 0x40 (?), 0x43 (?)
firmware 2 for tuner MT2266
firmware 3 for tuners FC0012 and 0x37
 From this I conclude that there is not a single generic firmware that we could
use for the af9035 devices, but maybe 3 are sufficient.

We should gather enough information to decide used firmware naming. Mainly for that reason I didn't release get_dvb_firmware changes I used to extract those.
So do you have the idea about firmware naming?
Reading tuner ID from eeprom before firmware download is needed as you point out. And then select firmware based of that. Or is it possible to split firmwares even smaller blocks like LINK and OFDM and download those separately. I think it is OFDM version which says if tuner is supported or not.

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/