My Microdia (SN9C201) webcam succumbs to glare in Linux

Hi Guys

As you can probably gather from the attached screenshots, I'm
attempting to use my SN9C201 webcam for home security.  The problem is
that it succumbs to external glare during the middle hours of sunny
days when used in Linux.

The same problem doesn't occur in Windows, probably since the software
automatically adjusts to the current lighting conditions.  These
screenshots were taken only five minutes apart and the sunlight
intensity didn't change much in-between.

No amount of adjusting the webcam's settings (via V4L2-UCP) seemed to
make any significant difference.  For this reason, I'm guessing that
there's at least one other adjustable setting that the GSPCA driver
isn't tapping into yet.

If I'm going to be using this webcam for home security, it will need
to overcome the glare obstacle during these hours.  Otherwise, it
won't take clear snapshots of a potential burglar's face as he looks
in through the windows before entering my unit.

Is there any way that you can modify the GSPCA software to overcome
this glare, as is done in Windows?  If this would require too much
coding at your end, let me know which other webcam I should buy to
overcome this problem in Linux.