Re: Kernel Display and Video API Consolidation mini-summit at ELC 2012 - Notes

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 16:03 +0000, James Simmons wrote:

> Fbcon scrolling at be painful at HD or better modes. Fbcon needs 3
> possible accels; copyarea, imageblit, and fillrect. The first two could be
> hooked from the TTM layer. Its something I plan to experiment to see if
> its worth it.

In my ideal world, the "framebuffer console" is something like vte under
wayland, which avoids this entirely.  Scrolling on early boot until you
manage to get into initramfs would still be slow, but whatever, that's a
debugging feature anyway.

- ajax