Re: Fintek driver linux

On 02/14/2012 02:47 PM, W R wrote:
Thanks again Jarod. I have emailed Jetway asking about the specs for the
CIR header on the motheboard. (JNC64-LF - nvidia chipset, *not* Atom/Ion
though...) which they have replied is the Fintek F71809 I/O chipset, and
I believe the same chipset on many of their Atom boards.
According to Fintek this had linux support since kernel 2.6.36? Not sure
about that.

Looks like it went in upstream after 2.6.39, so the first release that carried it was actually 3.0.

If it really is the F71809, then the fix I had in mind shouldn't matter, but I'd have to question if its really that and not an F71869A, which is nearly identical, but needs to use a different logical device for the IR input, lest you lock up the system -- sounds familiar, eh? :)

However, its also possible its something else going on here, some sort of bad interaction between multiple different drivers all poking at the super i/o chip without any coordinated locking.

Now, I *think* that if you get evdev installed and run it against the input device that fintek-cir exposes, you should be able to see the chip ID to confirm if its really the F71809 or not. If you see Product and Version of 0x08 and 0x04 (or vice versa), then its indeed one of the older chips that use logical device 5. Anything else, and it should be logical device 8, and a patch that just went into the for-v3.4 media tree branch is necessary.

-j

Since my previous email I have left my IR device plugged in to the
header on the motherboard and I have added fintek-cir to the blacklist.
After boot if I modprobe ir-rc6-decoder (which triggers rc-core and
lirc_dev and all the other protocols etc.) then fairly quickly after
that modprobe fintek-cir then 1 in 10 times it actually works. The other
9 times it freezes. It freezes everytime if I try to start fintek-cir
first.
I have already added my remotes config with the help of ir-keytable to
/etc/rc_keymaps/ and pointed /etc/rc_maps.cfg towards it. It gets loaded
automatically. I have uninstalled LIRC. A copy of my logs when it hasn't
crashed is here: http://pastebin.com/MqETvBsz
Not sure if any of this helps anyone, and to anyone reading this please
feel free to point out any of my stupid errors!

 > Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:56:38 -0500
 > From: jarod@xxxxxxxxxx
 > To: gridmuncher@xxxxxxxxxxx
 > Subject: Re: Fintek driver linux
 >
 > On 02/05/2012 10:48 AM, W R wrote:
 > > Tried various kernels, including 3.0.0 and 3.2 and kernel panic is
 > > almost always caused when ir receiver plugged into cir header on
 > > motherboard. If device plugged in after boot then it works fine.
Can use

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxx