Re: SDR FM demodulation

On 11.02.2012 09:00, Alistair Buxton wrote:
On 9 February 2012 15:01, Antti Palosaari<crope@xxxxxx>  wrote:

Decode it and listen some Finnish speak ;)

Done. grc and output.wav here: http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/rtl2832/

The trick was realising that the UChar to Float converter does not
adjust it's output to the range -1.0,1.0 that the wideband FM
demodulator block expects as input. Once I figured that out the rest
was easy. Just set the quadrature rate to the samples per second in
the source file, and the decimation to quadrature rate/output sink
rate. The source file appears to be about 2 to 2.2 million samples per
second. Any higher than that and the person speaking sounds like a
chipmunk. Maybe 22050 * 1000 or 1024? Does any Finnish station
broadcast "pips" like the BBC does? That could be used to determine
the actual rate.

Cool!
I did that whole last night up to 6 am. I also ended up very similar blocks, but failed to convert bytes as UChar. I tried to add constant between Deinterleave and UChar To Float but it wasn't possible. So my first idea was to make Python script to make for the sample when I wake-up. But no need anymore :)

It was very good learning session and I am very impressed about GNU Radio capability. Idea tool for learning signal handling in practise. I see that device has big potential for students as it is very cheap SDR, everyone can get own!

Now someone should make Linux driver that can tune that device to different frequencies and look what it really can do.

What kind of driver architecture should be used? Use device 100% userspace or make it working as Kernel driver? I suspect making it as Kernel driver could be too limited since V4L/DVB API restrictions?

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/