Re: PCTV 290e page allocation failure

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Gianluca Gennari <gennarone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to reproduce the problem with another em28xx-dvb device to
> see if it is not restricted to the PCTV 290e. Before the PCTV 290e, I
> was using a different device with a driver based on the dvb-usb
> framework, and I never observed similar crashes.

On ARM based platforms it is very likely you will run into this issue
with most USB based tuners.  It's because over time there is memory
fragmentation that occurs which prevents being able to allocate large
enough chunks of coherent memory.

Making such a scenario work would require hacks to the driver code to
preallocate the memory in some form of static pool at system boot (or
perhaps at driver initialization), and then reuse that memory instead
of attempting to allocate it as needed.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs