Re: 720p webcam providing VDPAU-compatible video stream?

Hi Kristof,

On Sunday 22 January 2012 14:03:29 Csillag Kristof wrote:
> Dear linux-media users,
>
> I have stopped following the advancements in Linux video
> (and video hw in general) a while ago, so I am no longer
> up to date with the current technologies,
> therefore I seek your advice.
>
> I am looking for for a webcam that
>   - works properly under GNU/Linux (without proprietary drivers)
>   - connects via USB 2.0
>   - can capture 720p video at 25 or 30 FPS
>   - provides a video stream that
>     - is hardware compressed by the camera
>     - can be recorded to a file with minimal CPU requirements
>       (Bonus points if it's wrapped a nice container format,
>       so that I can simply record it by something like
>       cat /dev/video0 > capture.mpeg
>       - like old Hauppauge PVR-250 cards )
>     - can be decoded by VDPAU hw acceleration
>
> I have tried to look into this, and it seems that the status for H264
> streams for UVC webcams is still problematic.

I think your best bet is still UVC + H.264, as that's what the market is
moving to. Any other compressed format (except for MJPEG) will likely be
proprietary.

As you correctly mention, H.264 support isn't available yet in the UVC driver.
Patches are welcome ;-)

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart