Re: v4l-utils migrated to autotools

Em 15-01-2012 19:37, Gregor Jasny escreveu:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Gregor the Debian (and thus Ubuntu) Maintainer of v4l-utils. I took
> the challenge to convert the Makefile based build system into an
> autotools one. This weekend I polished the last bits and submitted my
> changes.
>
> If you build v4l-utils from source, please clean your tree via "git
> clean" after the pull. Then make sure you have autotools, libtool and
> pkg-config installed. Bootstrap the autotools environment by calling
> "autoreconf -vfi". The rest is the usual configure && make && make install.

Nice job.

It would be nice to write at the INSTALL what dependencies are needed for
the autotools to work, or, alternatively, to commit the files generated
by the autoreconf -vfi magic spell there [1].

Not sure if it is possible, but it would be great if the build output
would be less verbose. libtool adds a lot of additional (generally useless)
messages, with makes harder to see the compilation warnings in the
middle of all those garbage.

Thanks,
Mauro.

[1] this is one of the things I hate on those new autoconf stuff: the
tools were supposed to detect the missing dependencies, but it doesn't
detect the missing auto*/libtool packages. Worse than that, compiling
those packages on an stable distro is generally a trouble, as they
generally require recent versions of the tools. IMHO, it is somewhat
broken by design. The option is to commit the autogenerated packages,
in order to allow the poor user to compile it, but it can also be a
trouble on stable distros, due to the autotools/libtool dependencies.