Re: [RFC 06/17] v4l: Add selections documentation.

Hi Sakari,

On Monday 09 January 2012 19:16:16 Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 December 2011 21:27:58 Sakari Ailus wrote:

[snip]

> >> The PADDED target
> >> +      provides the width and height for the padded image,
> >
> > Is it valid for both crop and compose rectangles ?
>
> I think all targets are valid for all rectangles. Should I mention that?
>
> The practical use cases may be more limited, though. I wonder if I
> should remove the padded targets until we get use cases for them. I
> included them for the reason that they also exist in the V4L2.
>
> Tomasz, Sylwester: do you have use for the PADDED targets?
>
> I think we also must define what will be done in cases where crop (on
> either sink or source) / scaling / composition is not supported by the
> subdev. That's currently undefined. I think it'd be most clear to return
> an error code but I'm not sure which one --- EINVAL is an obvious
> candidate but that is also returned when the pad is wrong. It looks
> still like the best choice to me.

If the rectangle isn't supported, EINVAL is appropriate. Do we need a way to
discover what rectangles are supported ?

If the rectangle is supported by the size is out of range, the driver should
adjust it instead of returning an error.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart