Re: [RFC 13/17] omap3isp: Configure CSI-2 phy based on platform data

Hi Sylwester,

Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:

> I think it just enables to swap D+ and D- functions on the physical pins.

Good thinking. :-) Yeah, it's differential, so yes, I think so too now
that you mention it.

>>> I've never seen polarity configuration option in any datasheet, neither
>>> MIPI CSI-2 or D-PHY mentions that. Does OMAP3 ISP really allow MIPI-CSI
>>> lane signal polarity configuration ? MIPI-CSI2 uses differential signals
>>> after all. What would be a point of changing polarity ?
>>
>> I don't know. It's also the same for CSI-1 on OMAP 3.
>>
>> This is actually one of the issues here: also device specific
>> configuration is required. The standard configuration must contain
>> probably at least what the spec defines.

>>> In Samsung SoC (both sensor and host interface) I've seen only possibility
>>> to configure the number of data lanes, FWIW I think it is assumed that
>>> when you use e.g. 2 data lanes always lane1 and lane2 are utilised for
>>> transmission, for 3 lanes - lane 1,2,3, etc. Also I've never seen on
>>> schematics that someone wires data lane3 and lane4 when only 2 lanes
>>> are utilised, so this makes me wonder if the lane mapping is ever needed.
>>>
>>> Has anyone different experience with that ?
>>>
>>> Also the standard seem to specify that Data1+ lane at a transmitter(Tx) is
>>> connected to Data1+ lane at a receiver(Rx), Data1-(Tx) to Data1-(Rx),
>>> Data2+(Tx) to Data2+(Rx), etc. I think this is needed due to explicitly
>>> defined data distribution and merging scheme among the lanes, i.e. to allow
>>> interworking of various receivers and transmitters.
>>>
>>> Thus it seems all we need need is just a number of data lanes used.
>>
>> The standard of course specifies that the data lanes must be connected
>> correctly. :-) It can't specify which SoC pins do they use, so for added
>> flexibility it's good to be able to reorder them.
>>
>> Have you ever worked with single-layer PCBs by any chance? :-) More
>> layers are used these days but it still doesn't solve all possible issues.
>
> Yes, I have. I know what you mean. It just seemed uncommon to me to reorder
> the signals. But since H/W doing that exists..and that might become more
> widely used in the future it might make sense to standardize lane
> configuration.

We'll need different mapping configuration for the receiver and the
transmitter, and not all the hardware supports it. It won't be many
bytes, though.

>> So I think I can say reordering generally must be supported by software
>> if the hardware can do that.
>
> Yes, however there is always a board specific information involved, isn't it ?
> I.e. transmitter can reorder signals between its pins, the same can happen at
> a receiver and additionally the transmitter's pins can be connected differently
> to the receiver pins, depending on the board ?

Exactly. That's the reason, I think, why the hardware does support it.

> Then do we make board specific information part of sensor's or host platform
> data ? It probably should be at both, let's take an evaluation and a camera
> daughter boards as an example.
>
> We also need device tree bindings for that, if possible the best would be to
> design common bindings, at least basic ones, to which device specific ones
> could be added.

Sounds good to me.

--
Sakari Ailus