Re: [ANN] Notes on IRC meeting on new sensor control interface, 2012-01-09 14:00 GMT+2

Hi Sakari,

On Monday 09 January 2012 18:38:25 Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We had an IRC meeting on the new sensor control interface on #v4l-meeting
> as scheduled previously. The meeting log is available here:
>
> <URL:http://www.retiisi.org.uk/v4l2/v4l2-sensor-control-interface-2012-01-0
> 9.txt>
>
> My notes can be found below.

Thanks for the summary.

> Accessing V4L2 subdev and MC interfaces in user space: user space libraries
>
> While the V4L2 subdev and Media controller kernel interface is functionally
> comprehensive, it is a relatively low level interface for even for
> vendor-specific user space camera libraries. The issue is intensified with
> the extension of the pipeline configuration performed using the Media
> controller and V4L2 subdev interfaces to cover the image processing
> performed on the sensor: this is part of the new sensor control interface.
>
> As we want to encourage SoC vendors to use the V4L2, we need to make this
> as easy as possible for them.
>
> The low level camera control libraries can be split into roughly two
> categories: those which configure the image pipe and those which deal with
> the 3A algorithms. The 3A algorithms are typically proprietary so we
> concentrated to the pipeline configuration which is what the Media
> controller and V4L2 subdev frameworks have been intended for.
>
> Two libraries already exist for this: libmediactl and libv4l2subdev. The
> former deals with topology enumeration and link configuration whereas the
> latter is a generic library for V4L2 subdev configuration, including format
> configuration.
>
> The new sensor control interface moves the remaining policy decisions to
> the user space: how the sensor's image pipe is configured, what pixel
> rates are being used on the bus from the sensor to the ISP and how is the
> blanking configured.
>
> The role of the new library, called libv4l2pipe, is to interpret text-based
> configuration file containing sections for various pipeline format and link
> configurations, as well as V4L2 controls: the link frequency is a control
> as well; but more on that below. The library may be later on merged to
> libv4l2pipeauto which Sakari is working on.
>
> Both pipeline format and link configurations are policy decisions and thus
> can be expected to be use case specific. A format configuration is
> dependent on a link configuration but the same link configuration can be
> used with several format configurations. Thus the two should be defined
> separately.
>
> A third kind of section will be for setting controls. The only control to
> be set will be the link frequency control but a new type of setting
> warrants a new section.
>
> A fourth section may be required as well: at this level the frame rate (or
> frame time) range makes more sense than the low-level blanking values. The
> blanking values can be calculated from the frame time and a flag which
> tells whether either horizontal or vertical blanking should be preferred.

How does one typically select between horizontal and vertical blanking ? Do
mixed modes make sense ?

> A configuration consisting of all the above sections will define the full
> pipeline configuration. The library must also provide a way to enumerate,
> query and set these configurations.
>
> With the existence of this library and the related new sensor control
> interface, the V4L2 supports implementing digital cameras even better than
> it used to.
>
> The LGPL 2.1+ license used by libmediactl, libv4l2pipeauto and the future
> libv4l2pipe(auto) is not seen an issue for Android to adopt these libraries
> either.
>
> In GStreamer middleware, libv4l2pipe is expected to be used by the camera
> source component.

Should we try to draft how a 3A library should be implemented ? Do you think
that might have implications on libv4l2pipe ?

> The new sensor control interface
> ================================
>

> The common understanding was that the new sensor control interface is
> mostly accepted. No patches have been acked since there have been lots of
> trivial and some not so trivial issues in the patchset. There was an
> exception to this, which is the pixel_rate field in struct
> v4l2_mbus_framefmt.
>
> The field is expected to be propagated by the user while the user has no
> valid use case to modify it. The agreement was that instead of adding the
> field to struct v4l2_mbus_framefmt, a new control will be introduced
> instead.
>
> A control has several good properties: it can be implemented where it is
> valid: it isn't always possible to accurately specify the pixel rate in
> some parts of the pipeline.
>
> Sensor drivers should provide the pixel_rate control in two subdevs: the
> pixel array and the one which is opposed to the ISP's bus receiver. The
> pixel array's pixel rate is mostly required in the user space whereas the
> pixel rate in the bus transmitter subdev (which may have other
> functionality as well) is often required by the bus receivers, as well as
> by the rest of the ISP.
>
> Ideally the pixel_rate control is related to pads rather than subdevs but
> 1) we don't have pad specific controls and 2) we don't stictly need them
> right now since there only will be need for a single pixel_rate control
> per subdev.
>
> If pixel rate management will be implemented to prevent starting pipelines
> which would fail to stream in cases where too high pixel rates are used on
> particular subdevs, the concept of pad-specific controls may be later
> revisited. Making the pixel_rate control pad-specific only will change the
> interface towards the user space if the pad where it is implemented is
> non-zero.

I'm fine with that. Let's use a control now, we'll revisit this later if
needed.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart