Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/5] v4l: Convert V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO control to a menu control

Hi Sylwester,

On Sunday 01 January 2012 17:49:11 Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> On 12/31/2011 01:00 PM, Sakari Ailus wrote:

> >> Yes, makes sense. Most likely there could be also continuous macro auto
> >> focus.. I don't have yet an idea what could be a name for that new menu
> >> though.
> >
> > V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO_DISTANCE? It could then have choices FULL or MACRO.
>
> How about V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO_SCAN_RANGE ? Which would then have choices:
> 	NORMAL,
> 	MACRO,
> 	INFINITY
> ?
>
> >> Many Samsung devices have also something like guided auto focus, where
> >> the application can specify location in the frame for focusing on. IIRC
> >> this could be also single-shot or continuous. So it could make sense to
> >> group MACRO and "guided" auto focus in one menu, what do you think ?
> >
> > I think it could be a separate menu. It's not connected to the distance
>
> OK, let me summarize
>
> * controls for starting/stopping auto focusing (V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO ==
> false)
>
>   V4L2_CID_START_AUTO_FOCUS (button) - start auto focusing,
>   V4L2_CID_STOP_AUTO_FOCUS  (button) - stop auto focusing (might be also
>                                        useful in V4L2_FOCUS_AUTO == true),

Maybe V4L2_CID_AUTO_FOCUS_START and V4L2_CID_AUTO_FOCUS_STOP to be consistent
with the other proposed controls ?

> * auto focus status
>
>   V4L2_CID_AUTO_FOCUS_STATUS (menu, read-only) - whether focusing is in
>                                                  progress or not,
>   possible entries:
>
>   - V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_STATUS_IDLE,    // auto focusing not enabled or force
> stopped - V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_STATUS_BUSY,    // focusing in progress
>   - V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_STATUS_SUCCESS, // single-shot auto focusing succeed
>                                     // or continuous AF in progress
>   - V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_STATUS_FAIL,    // auto focusing failed
>

> * V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO would retain its current semantics:
>
>   V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO (boolean) - selects auto/manual focus
>       false - manual
>       true  - auto continuous
>
> * AF algorithm scan range, V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO_SCAN_RANGE with choices:
>
>   - V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_SCAN_RANGE_NORMAL,
>   - V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_SCAN_RANGE_MACRO,
>   - V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_SCAN_RANGE_INFINITY
>

> New menu control to choose behaviour of auto focus (either single-shot
> or continuous):
>
> * select auto focus mode
>
> V4L2_CID_AUTO_FOCUS_MODE
>         V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_MODE_NORMAL     - "normal" auto focus (whole frame?)
>         V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_MODE_SPOT       - spot location passed with other
>         controls or selection API
>         V4L2_AUTO_FOCUS_MODE_RECTANGLE  - rectangle passed with other
>         controls or selection API

Soudns good to me.

> > parameter. We also need to discuss how the af statistics window
> > configuration is done. I'm not certain there could even be a standardised
>
> Do we need multiple windows for AF statistics ?
>
> If not, I'm inclined to use four separate controls for window
> configuration. (X, Y, WIDTH, HEIGHT). This was Hans' preference in
> previous discussions [1].

For the OMAP3 ISP we need multiple statistics windows. AEWB can use more than
32 windows. Having separate controls for that wouldn't be practical.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart