Re: em28xx: new board id [eb1a:5051]

On Friday 30 December 2011 14:27:57 Gareth Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 05:04 -0800, Reuben Stokes wrote:

> > > Reuben,
> > >
> > > If you're willing, then open up the device and see what the chips within
> > > are.  You believe it's em28xx based, but there may well be additional
> > > devices in there for audio and video.
> > >
> > > Once you've found out what's inside it will be easier to get it working.
> > > It may be as simple as getting the driver to recognise the USB Vendor ID
> > > or it may require much more work.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Gareth
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > Thank you very much for the response.
> >
> > Okay, opening it was easier than first suspected.
> >
> > The main (biggest) chip reads with nice big letters and a logo:
> > eMPIA
> > EM2860
> > P86J3-011
> > 201047-01AG
> >
> > Less useful information inlcudes:
> >
> > A smaller chip on the flip side of the circuit board, in letters visible only through a magnifying glass, reads:
> > eMPIA
> > TECHNOLOGY
> > EMP202
> > T10164
> > 1052
> >
> > The circuit board itself is stamped:
> > PM22860-2GOB
> >
> > Again, thank you.
> >
> > Reuben
> Reuben,
>
> Was there another chip on there?  The EMP202 is an audio chip that can
> covert analogue audio to digital PCM (and vice versa).  The EM2860 sends
> this digital audio along with digital video over USB.  For this to work
> though, the device will need to convert analogue video to digital and
> will need another chip to do this.  An example would be a SAA7113 from
> Philips. Have another look and post back here.
>
> The two chips you've identified are commonly used in for this type of
> device and should be easily configurable in the em28xx driver.  We just
> need the video chip now! And a tail wind...
>
> Regards,
>
> Gareth
>
> --

Good call.  There is another chip. The logo appears to be the Texas Instrument logo. It's stamped:
5150AM1
09T
C9JJ

lsusb lists the product ID as "5051", but the chip clearly reads "5150...". I have no idea if those two numbers are suppose to be the same of if they have nothing to do with each other, but I thought I'd confirm the numbers.

Also, I noted in my earlier post that the circuit board was stamped " PM22860-2GOB", but I made a typo.  It's actually, " PM42860-2GOB".

Thank you for the continued help!!

Reuben