Re: [RFC] vtunerc: virtual DVB device

Hi

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 22:38:33 +0100, HoP <jpetrous@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have one big problem with it. I can even imagine that some "bad guys"
>> could abuse virtual driver to use it for distribution close-source
> drivers
>> in the binary blobs. But is it that - worrying about bad boys abusing -
>> the sufficient reason for such aggressive NACK which I did?
>
> I am not a LinuxTV developer so I am not in position to take a stand for
> or against this. Ultimately though, either your driver is rejected or it is
> accepted. This is not really a matter of being aggressive or not. It just
> so happens that many Linux-DVB contributors feel the same way against that
> class of driver.
>
> Also note the fear of GPL avoidance is not unique to Linux-DVB. If I am
> not mistaken there is no user-space socket API back-end for the same
> reasons. And there is also no _in-tree_ loopback V4L2 device driver in
> kernel.

Well, that is why I was asking again - in some parts there are similar
drivers accepted and in another parts no. Really confusing to me.
I'm not kernel hacker, so I didn't know about historical cases. Sorry.

[...]

>> I can't understand that because I see very similar drivers in kernel for
>> ages (nbd, or even more similar is usbip) and seems they don't hamper to
>> anybody.
>
> Sure. On That said, the Network Block Device, USB-IP and TUNTAP are not
> really competing with real drivers because of their high perfomance impact,
> so they are probably not the best examples to support your argument. uinput
> and ALSA loopback would seem like better examples to me.

Thanks for hints. It is no problem to use another arguments, if things get
cleaner then :-)

>> I would like to note that I don't want to start any flame-war,
>> so very short answer would be enough for me.
>
> Did you try to implement this through CUSE? Then there should be no GPL
> problems. Also then you do not need to convince anybody to take your driver
> in the kernel.

I did a very quick look on CUSE and if I understood it well, it was usable for
drivers not need for cooperation of other kernel internal subsystems.
But DVB driver usually use dvb-core subsystem (for tuning and for pid
filtering/demuxing),
so I don't see the way how to connect there. I think it is impossible.

Honza