Re: PATCH: Query DVB frontend capabilities

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em 13-11-2011 13:27, Manu Abraham escreveu:
>> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Ok.

>>> Manu, you're probably thinking in terms of the TS bit rate, and not the
>>> modulator symbol rate.
>>>
>>> The number of bits don't matter here, as the symbol rate is specified
>>> in bauds (e. g. symbols per second), and not in bits/s.
>>

>> A PSK modulator is a state machine:
>> where states/symbols are logically represented by bits, given that the
>> state can either be a 0 or 1
>>
>> BPSK  states=2    bits=1
>> QPSK  states=4    bits=2
>> 8PSK  states=8     bits=3
>> 16PSK states=16  bits=4
>> 32PSK states=32  bits=5
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constellation_diagram
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_code
>>
>> Symbol Rate is generally specified in SPS, ie Symbols/sec, or in
>> Bauds. AFAICS, We generally use Symbols Per Second rather than bauds.
>>
>> http://www.asiasat.com/asiasat/contentView.php?section=69&lang=0
>> http://www.b4utv.com/subs/technology.shtml
>> http://www.skynewsinternational.com/watch/satellite-information
>>
>> I haven't seen a demodulator specification which states Mbaud, but
>> have seen them stated as MSPS or kSPS.
>>
>> Now, assuming a 36MHz TP as an example: The given bandwidth is better
>> or efficiently used by a higher order modulation. This is the reason
>> why DVB.org states that DVB-S2 saves 30% bandwidth.
>>
>> Quoting you: "Anyway, when the roll-off is known, only symbol rate is
>> needed, in order to know the needed bandwidth."
>>
>> Given a fixed TP CHBW, according to you: Channel Bandwidth can be
>> calculated by knowing Symbol Rate alone, with a known rolloff.
>>
>> I say that this is not possible. Since the number of states/symbols
>> for any given channel depends on the modulation order as well.
>>
>> I hope that clears up things for you.
>>

>>> The conversion from bauds to bits/s is to multiply the number of bits per
>>> symbol by the rate, in bauds.
>>>
>>> A higher number of bits for a given modulation just increase the number of
>>> possible states that the modulation will use. So, it will require a higher
>>> signal to noise relation at the demod, to avoid miss-detection, but this is
>>> a separate issue.
>>

>> That's why for higher order modulations, demodulators use better Error
>> Correction Schemes (eg: BCH/Turbo) when the modulation order is
>> higher.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation_order
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCH_code
>>

>>> The roll-off, minimal bandwidth (referred as "Nyquist frequency" by the DVB-C
>>> specs) and symbol rate are related by this equation:
>>>        f = symbol_rate * (1 + roll_off)
>>>
>>> The f value is the Nyquist frequency, and it will dictate the low-pass filter
>>> needed to confine the entire signal of the channel (with is, basically, the
>>> amount of bandwidth required by the channel).

>>> The error correction algorithm will reduce the bit rate of the TS stream,
> [...]

Mauro,

Well, if the discussion is about know the person whom you are talking
to: I did my Engineering degree in Electronics and Communication;
Simon and Haykin was just one among them in one of the semesters. I
still have those college books somewhere in an old dusty shelf. Later
on, I worked at the (Remote Sensing and CVAI labs) Indian Institute of
Sciences, Bangalore. Further down the lane, did work with media
broadcast organizations.

I am not going to get into an argument session, where you keep on
changing the topic, with unrelated or incorrect stuff altogether.

Let this thread die. :-)

Regards,
Manu