FE_CAN-bits (was: Re: PATCH: Query DVB frontend capabilities)

Hi,

On Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:20:46 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> We should also think on a way to enumerate the supported values for each
> DVB properties, the enum fe_caps is not enough anymore to store
> everything. It currently has 30 bits filled (of a total of 32 bits), and
> we currently have:
> 	12 code rates (including AUTO/NONE);
> 	13 modulation types;
> 	7 transmission modes;
> 	7 bandwidths;
> 	8 guard intervals (including AUTO);
> 	5 hierarchy names;
> 	4 rolloff's (probably, we'll need to add 2 more, to distinguish between
> DVB-C Annex A and Annex C).
>
> So, if we would need to add one CAN_foo for each of the above, we would
> need 56 to 58 bits, plus 5-6 bits to the other capabilities that
> currently exists there. So, even 64 bits won't be enough for the current
> needs (even having the delivery system caps addressed by something
> else).

IMHO, we don't need such a fine FE_CAN_-bit distinguishing for most
standards. A well defined sub-standard definition is sufficient, which can be
handled with a delivery-system-like query as proposed in the original patch.
This also will be much simpler for most user-space applications and users.

DVB-T means:
- 8K or 2K,
- 1/4-1/32 Guard,
- 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 coderate,
- QPSK, 64QAM or 16QAM

DVB-H (RIP as Remi wrote somewhere) would have meant:
- DVB-T + 4K + in-depth-interleaver mode

The same applies to ISDB-T and ISDB-T 1seg. And for CMMB, CTTB, DVB-SH.

If there are demods which can't do one particular thing, we should forget
about them. At least this is what almost all applications I have seen so far
are doing implicitly.

Though, I see at least one inconvenience is if someone is using linux-dvb
for developping dsp-software and wants to deliver things which aren't done.
But is this a case we want to "support" within the official API.

regards,
--
Patrick Boettcher - KernelLabs
http://www.kernellabs.com/