Re: omap3-isp status

Hi,

On Friday 07 October 2011 11:31:46 Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Enrico wrote:
> >>
> >> I didn't know there was a more recent version of Deepthy patches,
> >> Since they are not yet in mainline we should decide if we work on top
> >> of that or on top of mainline. Deepthy patches are very good to
> >> separate bt656 and non-bt656 execution inside the ISP, also add a
> >> platform data variable to decide which mode has to be used.
> >>
> >> But reading the documentation and from my experimental validation I
> >> think that there are a few things that can be improved.
> >>
> >> First the assumption that we can use FLDSTAT to check if a frame is
> >> ODD or EVEN I find to not always be true. Also I don't know who sets
> >> this value since in the TRM always talks as it is only used with
> >> discrete syncs.
> >
> > Yes about FLDSTAT i noticed the same thing. And that's why we need
> > someone that knows the ISP better to help us....
>
> Great, good to know that I'm not the only one that noticed this behavior.
>
> >> Also, I don't think that we should change the ISP CCDC configuration
> >> inside the VD0 interrupt handler. Since the shadowed registers only
> >> can be accessed during a frame processing, or more formally the new
> >> values are taken at the beginning of a frame execution.
> >>
> >> By the time we change for example the output address memory for the
> >> next buffer in the VD0 handler, the next frame is already being
> >> processed so that value won't be used for the CCDC until that frame
> >> finish. So It is not behaving as the code expect, since for 3 frames
> >> the CCDC output memory address will be the same.
> >>
> >> That is why I move most of the logic to the VD1 interrupt since there
> >> the current frame didn't finish yet and we can configure the CCDC for
> >> the next frame.
> >>
> >> But to do that the buffer for the next frame and the releasing of the
> >> last buffer can't happen simultaneously, that is why I decouple these
> >> two actions.
> >>
> >> Again, this is my own observations and what I understood from the TRM
> >> and I could be wrong.
> >
> > I can't comment on that, i hope Laurent or Deepthy will join the
> > discussion...
>
> I second you on that, we need someone who knows the ISP better than we
> do. I have to fix this anyway, so it is better if I can do it the
> right way and the code gos upstream, so we don't have to internally
> maintain a separate patch-set and forward port for each kernel release
> we do.

Two quick comments, as I haven't had time to look into this recently.

1. I've updated the omap3isp-omap3isp-yuv branch with a new CCDC YUV support
patch which should (hopefully) configure the bridge automatically and report
correct formats at the CCDC output. The patch hasn't been tested as I still
don't have access to YUV hardware.

2. Could you guys please rebase all your patches on top of the omap3isp-
omap3isp-yuv branch ? I will then review them.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart