[Q] video configuration order

Hi all

I've been re-thinking (yes, again...) our classical 2-step geometry
configuration (let's leave COMPOSE and friends aside for now) per S_FMT
and S_CROP, and came to the conclusion, that passing the pixel format with
the scaling configuration (S_FMT) is a bad idea.

Let's take CAPTURE as an example, and let's use the "sensor" terminology,
even though the same basically applies to other video data sources.

Considering just the two geometries - a cropped window on the sensor and
an output frame, it is logical to first configure the input, and then the
output, because at least on the hardware, where you have to write scaling
factors into registers, and not just output sizes, you would have to
recalculate those factors, if cropping were to be applied after scaling.
In other words, output depends on the input, but not the other way
round:-)

But S_FMT also passes the pixel format with it, and if you change the
pixel format, your cropping capabilities might change too. This might not
be very obvious for raw sensors, but it is quite possible for various
video data processing devices, like resizers, etc.

Therefore, I think, the best order would be:

(1) set pixel format (fourcc / mediabus code)
(2) set crop
(3) set scale

I know we cannot change this in V4L2 anymore, so, this might be something
for V4L3;-) But what we could do is at least redesign our subdevice APIs
to separate the .s_fmt() method into two operations.

Below is the specific example, that brought me to this, it might be
helpful for those, wishing to even better understand the sources of this
problem, others can skip the rest:-)

The problem occurred to me, when I was working on the
sh_mobile_ceu_camera.c driver. The CEU can scale some pixel formats
(several YUV / NV1x formats), and cannot scale others (this actually holds
for all bridges), but it can crop anything. As I'm extending soc-camera to
work in both "V4L2" and "MC" modes, I want to still be able to configure
the sensor behind the CEU from just the classical S_FMT / S_CROP ioctl()s.
In this mode I have to decide, where to do the cropping and scaling - on
the sensor or on the CEU. One thing I want to avoid, is applying CEU
cropping on top of sensor scaling - this gets messy very quickly.

So, I only consider CEU cropping, when the sensor is not scaling. Given
this, if the user has requested one of pixel codes, that the CEU cannot
scale (e.g., a Bayer format), and I have configured sensor 1:1 scaling and
crop on the CEU, and then the user issues an S_FMT, I now also lose the
ability to ask the sensor to scale, because for that I would have to drop
the CEU cropping and the resulting cropping rectangle can change _a lot_
as a result of an S_FMT ioctl(), which, as we know, is not something, that
the user expects;-) This leads me to the conclusion, that I also should
not do CEU cropping for those, not natively supported by the CEU, formats.

This is where we come to cropping behaviour depending on the pixel format
and the need to set that format before cropping and before scaling.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.