Re: Using atmel-isi for direct output on framebuffer ?

Hi Thomas,

On Friday 02 September 2011 13:51:58 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Le Fri, 2 Sep 2011 13:42:03 +0200, Laurent Pinchart a écrit :
> > I'm not sure if V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_OVERLAY is a good solution for this.
> > This driver type (or rather buffer type) was used on old systems to
> > capture directly to the PCI graphics card memory. Nowadays I would
> > advice using USERPTR with framebuffer memory.
>
> Could you give a short summary of how the USERPTR mechanism works?

In a nutshell, instead of asking the capture driver to allocate buffers and
map them to userspace, applications pass userspace buffer pointers to the
driver.

In your case the application would mmap() the framebuffer memory and give
pointers to that memory to the capture driver.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart