Re: Media Subsystem Workshop 2011

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> >> The media workshop happens together with the KS/2011. Sunday is an
> >> exclusive day for the workshops, Monday is an exclusive day for KS/2011,
> >> and Tuesday is a joint day for both KS and the KS workshops.
> >
> > So, as I understand, these are all about to take place in Vancouver,
> > sometime in the next two weeks? It really is the wrong time, but I really
> > wish now that I were going. I would at the very minimum try to get the
> > people together that I know of, who have wrestled with the issue.
>
> Hmm... it seems that you didn't read the sites I've pointed on my original
> email,

Not really, no. I had resigned myself to being unable to attend anything
like this, so why torture myself with looking in the shop window at what I
cannot buy?

> or that I was not clear enough.

Without looking again, I expect that you were quite clear.

> The Media Subsystem Workshop and the Kernel Summit won't happen in Vancouver.
> What will happen there is the LinuxCon North-America, plus the USB mini-summit.
> I should be there, btw. I think I should add an additional topic there to
> discuss about multi-featured devices.

A very good idea.

> The KS/2011 and the Media Workshop will happen in Prague, on Oct 23-25,
> just before the LinuxCon Europe.

Hmmm. That is still not good because classes are in session. But it is not
nearly so bad in the middle of a semester as it is at the beginning. It is
even conceivable that I might be able to shake loose some money -- if I
were either giving a presentation or would (for example) lead a panel
discussion on this topic. I believe that I would find it easier to be a
moderator or discussion "leader" than actually to present about a thing
like this. Namely, I can see the issues but not always the solutions.

Probably, it is not good to apply to my university for money if I merely
were going to attend; mere intent to attend would probably not get me
funding for a mathematics conference, either. I also would need enough
lead time to be able to get things through the bureaucratic system. There
is some kind of very unreasonable deadline now in effect in the university
about how soon one needs to apply for foreign travel.

So if you think my presence would have some value, I need something to get
the application started, over here. Invitation, or something similar. If
it is too much trouble or would interfere with already-existing plans,
then never mind. I would hardly be upset if I don't go to something which
I was not expecting to go to in the first place.

Theodore Kilgore