Re: [Workshop-2011] Media Subsystem Workshop 2011

On Thursday 04 August 2011, Theodore Kilgore wrote:
> As far as I know, /dev/sdx signifies a device which is accessible by
> something like the USB mass storage protocols, at the very least. So, if
> that fits the camera, fine. But most of the cameras in question are Class
> Proprietary. Thus, not in any way standard mass storage devices. Then it
> is probably better not to call the new device by that name unless that
> name really fits. Probably, it would be better to have /dev/cam or
> /dev/stillcam, or something like that.

Correct and that is why this idea doesn't work - /dev/sdx needs to be a block
device that can have a file system on it. These cameras don't have a
traditional file system and there is a lot of code in gphoto to support all
the different types of camera.

There does exist the possibility of a relatively simple fix - If libusb
include a usb_reattach_kernel_driver_np call to go with the
usb_detach_kernel_driver_np then once gphoto had finished with the device it
could restore the kernel driver and webcam mode would work. Unfortunately the
libusb devs don't want to support it in the 0.1 version of libusb that
everyone uses and the reattach function needs knowledge of libusb internals to
work reliably.

I did come up with a hack that sort of worked but I never worked out how to
clean it up to be acceptable to go upstream.

http://old.nabble.com/Re-attaching-USB-kernel-drivers-detached-by-libgphoto2-
td22978838.html

http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/re-attaching-after-usb-detach-kernel-driver-np-
td6068.html