Re: [RFC 0/3] Frame synchronisation events and support for them in the OMAP 3 ISP driver

Hi Sakari,

On 07/19/2011 03:37 PM, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The OMAP 3 ISP driver implements an HS_VS event which is triggered when
> the reception of a frame begins. This functionality is very, very likely
> not specific to OMAP 3 ISP so it should be standardised.
>
> I have a few patches to do that. Additionally the next expected buffer
> sequence number is provided with the event, unlike earlier.
>
> There are a few open questions, however, and this is why I'm sending the
> set as RFC.
>

> 1) Other frame synchronisation events. The CCDC block in the OMAP 3 ISP
> is able to trigger interrupts at two chosen lines of the image. These
> naturally can be translated to events. The driver uses both of them
> internally at specific points of the frame. Nevertheless, there might be
> some use for these in user space. Other hardware might implement a
> number of these which wouldn't be used by the driver itself, but I don't
> know of that at the moment. On the other hand high resolution timers are
> also available in user space, so doing timing based on ISP provided
> events is not quite as important as before --- as long as there's one
> frame based event produced at a known time, such as V4L2_EVENT_FRAME_START.

I'm curious, have you perhaps tried to measure latency of such up calls
to a user space process? I mean this is going to be a real time stuff,
with HSYNC periods of 50 us order. Could a user space thread be receiving
such periodic events reliably ? From my experience I doubt this can work
reliably outside of an interrupt handler even with high priority real time
threads.

V4L2_EVENT_FRAME_START event seems OK, but HSYNC events in user space
sound rather tricky to me :-)

Also HS_VS looks a bit more descriptive than FRAME_START for me.
But unfortunately I can't come up with a better name, e.g. something like
V4L2_EVENT_FRAME_AV_START - frame active video start. Just in case in
future there are more specific events added.

--
Regards,
Sylwester