Re: [RFC] Binning on sensors

Hi Guennadi,

Thanks for the comments.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 07:56:10PM +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Sakari Ailus wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was thinking about the sensor binning controls.
>
> What wrong with just doing S_FMT on the subdev pad? Binning does in fact
> implement scaling.

Nothing really. Supporting setting binning using S_FMT is fine.

However, the interface does not express binning capabilities in any way. To
effectively use binning settings one must know the capabilities. Binning is
scaling but the choices are so coarse that the capabilities are a must.

The capabilities could be found implicitly by trying out different formats
and looking back at the result. That's still not quite trivial.

If there would be a good way to enumerate the binning capabilities, combined
with S_FMT it'd be close to perfect.

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@xxxxxx