Re: [GIT PULL FOR 3.1] Bitmask controls, flash API and adp1653 driver

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 09:57:39AM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Friday, July 01, 2011 03:27:10 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em 10-06-2011 06:27, Sakari Ailus escreveu:
> > > Hi Mauro,
> > >
> > > This pull request adds the bitmask controls, flash API and the adp1653
> > > driver. What has changed since the patches is:
> > >
> > > - Adp1653 flash faults control is volatile. Fix this.
> > > - Flash interface marked as experimental.
> > > - Moved the DocBook documentation to a new location.
> > > - The target version is 3.1, not 2.6.41.
> > >
> > > The following changes since commit 75125b9d44456e0cf2d1fbb72ae33c13415299d1:
> > >
> > >   [media] DocBook: Don't be noisy at make cleanmediadocs (2011-06-09 16:40:58 -0300)
> > >
> > > are available in the git repository at:
> > >   ssh://linuxtv.org/git/sailus/media_tree.git media-for-3.1
> > >
> > > Hans Verkuil (3):
> > >       v4l2-ctrls: add new bitmask control type.
> > >       vivi: add bitmask test control.
> > >       DocBook: document V4L2_CTRL_TYPE_BITMASK.
> >
> > I'm sure I've already mentioned, but I think it was at the Hans pull request:
> > the specs don't mention what endiannes is needed for the bitmask controls:
> > machine endianess, little endian or big endian.  IMO, we should stick with either
> > LE or BE.
>
> Sorry Sakari, I should have fixed that. But since the patch was going through
> your repository I forgot about it. Anyway, it should be machine endianess. You
> have to be able to do (value & bit_define). The bit_defines for each bitmask
> control should be part of the control's definition in videodev2.h.
>
> It makes no sense to require LE or BE. We don't do that for other control types,
> so why should bitmask be any different?
>
> Can you add this clarification to DocBook?

Thinking about this some more, if we're to say something about the
endianness we should specify it for all controls, not just bitmasks. I
really wonder if need this at all: why would you think the endianness in a
bitmask would be some other than machine endianness, be it a V4L2 control or
a flags field in, say, struct v4l2_buffer? It would make sense to document
it if it differs from the norm, so in my opinion such statement would be
redundant.

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@xxxxxx