Re: [RFC] vtunerc - virtual DVB device driver

2011/6/22 Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Em 21-06-2011 14:38, HoP escreveu:

>>> I think we're diverging from the subject. Most of those discussions are
>>> interesting on some lawyers forum, not here.
>>>
>>> My view about this subject is that vtuner can't give any additional permissions
>>> to the kernel GPL'd code, as vtuner were not made by the Kernel Copyright owners,
>>> nor were approved by them. So, the extra permission at the COPYING clause
>>> from kernel doesn't apply here, while the code is not merged into the Kernel.
>>>
>>> So, while it should be legal to use vtuner with a GPL'd client application,
>>> using it by a closed source application violates GPL.
>>>
>>> My understanding is that an addition of a code that exposes the internal
>>> DVB core API to userspace like that will require that all dvb developers
>>> that have copyright rights at the dvb core should explicitly ack with such
>>> change, otherwise adding such code will violate the original license.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, if vtunerc won't act as a proxy to userspace, it should
>>> probably be ok.
>>
>> Are you serious? Why there is not same violation on NFS? Or even beter
>> example NBD (network block device)? It sits in kernel for ages and nobody
>> cares. It looks for me like you should send some patch for removal such
>> "weak" places in kernel which allow to violate GPL.
>>
>> Do you really think that it is possible (in real, no in threory) to create
>> any networked subsystem for sharing anything over net the way
>> when it is not exposed (somehow) to the userspace? How will be
>> such system managable? Why there is usually companion daemon
>> there, which is responsible for managing connections etc?
>>
>> I think it is very evident you want find the way how to get yours word
>> back and return to your original position = such code is not acceptable.
>> Even if you still are not able to give anything clear.
>>
>> If I understand your last few mails, you won't accept such driver, isn't it?
>
> You got wrong. You can't change someone's else license without their acks.

That I understand very well. I never want to force anybody to change
his licence.

I simply don't believe you that it is necessary. Why the same was not needed
with USBIP driver? If you check theirs nice big picture on
http://usbip.sourceforge.net/
you see that it is exactly same technology like vtunerc, but for USB subsystem.
Why such driver exists at all?

And I'm sure I can find more examples inside kernel tree. What about NBD
(http://nbd.sourceforge.net)? Do you want find me more examples?

> It is as simple as that. Getting everybody's ack is not that hard, if they
> accept that what you're doing is the right thing. We've got everybody's
> ack in the past to change the licensing for videodev2.h for example, to allow
> using the V4L2 API under BSD license (just the license API was changed, not the
> code itself).
>
>>> If people have different understandings, then we'll likely need to ask some
>>> support from Open source lawyers about this subject.
>>
>> My very little opinion is that waving GPL is way to the hell. Nobody told me
>> why similar technologies, in different kernel parts are acceptable,
>> but not here.
>
> If you want to do the networking code at userspace, why do you need a kernel
> driver after all? The proper solution is to write an userspace library for that,
> and either enclose such library inside the applications, or use LD_PRELOAD to
> bind the library to handle the open/close/ioctl glibc calls. libv4l does that.
> As it proofed to be a good library, now almost all V4L applications are using
> it.

LD_PELOAD is out of bussiness for normal work. It is technique for development
and/or debugging. Library would be possible, but then you kill main advantage
- totally independece of changes inside userland DVB applications.

And about networking in userspace - do you know other way then using
userspace daemon for management of connections and other control
jobs? Can you describe me how to do it w/o userspace application (daemon).
Why all are using it? Check networking filesystems.

I hope you can learn me how to do it correct way. I'm open for any
discussion. But no talks like "it breaks GPL" without any evident
argument from you.

/Honza