Re: [RFC] vtunerc - virtual DVB device driver

Em 21-06-2011 10:44, Devin Heitmueller escreveu:

> Mauro, ultimately it is your decision as the maintainer which drivers
> get accepted in to the kernel.  I can tell you though that this will
> be a very bad thing for the driver ecosystem as a whole - it will
> essentially make it trivial for vendors (some of which who are doing
> GPL work now) to provide solutions that reuse the GPL'd DVB core
> without having to make any of their stuff open source.

I was a little faster to answer to my previous emails. I'm not feeling
well today due to a strong pain on my backbone.

So, let me explain what would be ok, from my POV:

A kernelspace driver that will follow DVBv5 API and talk with wit another
device via the Kernel network stack, in order to access a remote Kernel board,
or a kernel board at the physical machine, for virtual machines. That means that
the dvb stack won't be proxied to an userspace application.

Something like:

Userspace app (like kaffeine, dvr, etc) -> DVB net_tunnel driver -> Kernel Network stack

Kernel Network stack -> DVB net_tunnel driver -> DVB hardware

In other words, the "DVB net_tunnel" driver will take care of using the
network stack, implement Kernel namespaces, etc, in order to allow virtualizing
a remote hardware, without needing any userspace driver for doing that
(well, except, of course, for the standard network userspace applications for
DNS solving, configuring IP routes, etc).

Cheers,
Mauro