Re: Some fixes for alsa_stream

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pulseaudio sucks. See what happens when I pass "-alsa-pb default" argument to pulseaudio:
>
> 1) ssh section. User is the same as the console owner:
>
> ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> Cannot open ALSA Playback device default: Connection refused
>
> 2) console, with mmap enabled:
>
> Alsa devices: cap: hw:1,0 (/dev/video0), out: default
> Access type not available for playback: Invalid argument
> Unable to set parameters for playback stream: Invalid argument
> Alsa stream started, capturing from hw:1,0, playing back on default at 1 Hz with mmap enabled
> write error: File descriptor in bad state
> write error: File descriptor in bad state
>
> 3) console, with mmap disabled:
>
> Alsa devices: cap: hw:1,0 (/dev/video0), out: default
> Alsa stream started, capturing from hw:1,0, playing back on default at 1 Hz
> write error: Input/output error
> write error: Input/output error
>
> Pulseaudio needs first to be fixed in order to work like an alsa device, before
> having applications supporting it as default.

People have been screaming about Pulseaudio for *years*, and those
concerns/complaints have largely fallen on deaf ears.  Lennart works
for Red Hat too - maybe you can convince him to take these issues
seriously.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs