Re: RFC: Proposal to change the way pending events are handled

Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Hans and David,
>
> On Tuesday 07 June 2011 13:51:38 David Cohen wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> While working on the control events I realized that the way we handle
>>> pending events is rather complicated.
>>>
>>> What currently happens internally is that you have to allocate a fixed
>>> sized list of events. New events are queued on the 'available' list and
>>> when they are processed by the application they are queued on the 'free'
>>> list.
>>>
>>> If the 'free' list is empty, then no new events can be queued and you
>>> will drop events.
>>>
>>> Dropping events can be nasty and in the case of control events can cause
>>> a control panel to contain stale control values if it missed a value
>>> change event.
>>
>> I remember it was a topic I discussed with Sakari.
>>
>>> One option is to allocate enough events, but what is 'enough' events?
>>> That depends on many factors. And allocating more events than is
>>> necessary wastes memory.
>>
>> Cases where events are lost are exception and IMO "enough" events
>> would be almost always waste of memory.
>>
>>> But what might be a better option is this: for each event a filehandle
>>> subscribes to there is only one internal v4l2_kevent allocated.
>>>
>>> This struct is either marked empty (no event was raised) or contains the
>>> latest state of this event. When the event is dequeued by the application
>>> the struct is marked empty again.
>>>
>>> So you never get duplicate events, instead, if a 'duplicate' event is
>>> raised it will just overwrite the 'old' event and move it to the end of
>>> the list of pending events. In other words, the old event is removed and
>>> the new event is inserted instead.
>>
>> That's an interesting proposal. Currently it will have impact at least
>> on statistics collection OMAP3ISP driver. It brings to my mind 2
>> points:
>>  - OMAP3ISP triggers one event for each statistic buffers produced. If
>> we avoid events "duplication", userapp will miss a statistic buffer.
>> It's possible to bypass this problem, but the OMAP3 ISP statistics'
>> private interface should be updated as well.
>>  - To define a standard for statistics collection is something we need
>> to do to avoid new ISP's to always create custom interfaces.
>>
>>> The nice thing about this is that for each subscribed event type you will
>>> never lose a raised event completely. You may lose intermediate events,
>>> but the latest event for that type will always be available.
>>
>> I may have a suggestion. If some event is affected by the number of
>> times it was triggered (like the statistic ones mentioned above),
>> instead of a bool "empty flag", it may contain a counter. Then a
>> "duplicated" event will be raised and will still inform how many
>> intermediate events were "lost". After event is dequeued once, the
>> counter could be reset.
>
> A counter would help mitigate events loss issues, when an application is not
> [...]

I agree with Laurent.

When the interface was originally defined, the assumption was that any
kind of event loss would be a major nuisance and should ideally never
happen. It's a good question what is best when there's not enough room
for new events.

Definitely your proposal does have its advantages, but also causes loss
of information such as timestamps much more easily in cases such as the
OMAP 3 ISP driver where many events are generated per frame, usually one
per type.

On the other hand, the importance of timestamps generally decreases when
as they get older. I'm uncertain whether such a change would actually
break something, at least I can't say it wouldn't right now.

I wonder if it would be too complicated to pre-allocate n events per
event type, n being be a small natural number. This might be wasteful,
however.

Or allow at least one event per event type in the queue. Also this
option would have the property that not all events of a specific type
would be lost.

Or, limit the number of events of certain type in queue to m, where m < n.

Regards,

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx