Re: xc4000 patches folded

Em 05-06-2011 12:13, Istvan Varga escreveu:
> On 06/05/2011 03:58 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>
>> Don't add \n\t\t at the beginning of the param_desc. Even the extra \t and \n
>> format stuff in the middle of the description is unusual. It is better to avoid,
>> as it may break scripts.
>
> OK, I will remove the tabs. Is the use of \n allowed in the description?

Never saw \n on a param description. The description is generally just a
summary. The full parameters description should be at
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (although, unfortunately, people
generally forget to update the parameters there).

>> Please put all parameters together.
>
> Does this mean that the macro definitions should be moved from between
> the parameter definitions ?

We generally put macro definitions after that. Some drivers just move all
parameters to the end of the file.

>> Don't add a card_type. Just add the features that are needed for
>> XC4000_CARD_WINFAST_CX88 to work.
>
> Yes, this is a change I have already planned. The following parameters
> will be added to the priv and config structures:
>   - the default enabling of power management
>   - amplitude for DVB-T
> The other conditionals might not actually be necessary, they were just
> added to avoid changing the behavior of the driver with the PCTV 340e
> which I cannot test.

Ok. Well, we can ask Devin or one of the PCTV owners to test.

> A third parameter could be added to enable/disable
> the use of XREG_SMOOTHEDCVBS, although it is not really needed with the
> currently supported cards (always enabling it should not be a problem).

Ok.

>> Please use a generic parameter. In this case, it seems that it is just
>> disabling one video mode. I don't think you need this here, as the better
>> is to disable such video mode in cx88. Hard to tell without seeing the
>> cx88 code that adds support for the Winfast xc4000-based card.
>
> I do not think making it card-specific is really needed. It is probably
> best to just remove the card_type check here. Also, the code is there
> only to improve support for old (1.2) firmware versions.

Ok.

> For xc4000.c and xc4000.h, is it enough to create the following three
> patches, or should the changes be broken up into more smaller patches ?
>   - removing the use of card_type
>   - uncommenting the firmware version check
>   - coding style / cleanup

I think so.

Ah, we need also to work at the firmware stuff. The better is to add the
firmware files at the firmware tree, at kernel.org. If this is not possible,
then we need to work on another way to provide it.

Thanks!
Mauro