Re: v4l2 device property framework in userspace

> Userspace tells the driver what it should do and the driver decides how to do it.
> That's how it works.

Sounds a little religious. Not sure if you've been listening..

>> And for us it is even more reusable, because we can run the
>> same thing on a standalone 'OS' (no OS really) and for example RTEMS.
>
> That is never a consideration for linux. Hardware abstraction layers are not
> allowed. Blame Linus, not me, although I completely agree with him on this.

This is new to me. What should be the reason not to abstract hardware?
To give people a coding job?

>> So for the various OS specifics, we only have one video acquisition
>> driver which has no knowledge of the attached sensor. All generic v4l2
>> properties again are tunneled through userspace to the "sensor daemon".
>> I still don't see what is (technically) wrong with that.
>
> It's the tunneling to a sensor daemon that is wrong. You can write a sensor
> driver as a V4L subdevice driver and it is reusable by any 'video acquisition;
> driver (aka V4L2 bridge/platform driver) without going through userspace and
> requiring userspace daemons.
>

> It's the tunneling to a sensor daemon that is wrong. You can write a sensor
> driver as a V4L subdevice driver and it is reusable by any 'video acquisition;
> driver (aka V4L2 bridge/platform driver) without going through userspace and
> requiring userspace daemons.

You keep saying it is wrong, but I have so far seen no technically firm
argument. Please tell me why.

>> For me, it works like a driver, plus it is way more flexible as I don't
>> have to go through ioctls for special sensor properties.
>
> You still have to go through the kernel to set registers. That's just as
> expensive as an ioctl.

Not sure if you understand: I do not have to implement or generate ioctl
handlers and call them. This is definitely less expensive in terms of
coding. All the register access is handled *automatically* using the HW
description layer.

> Sure, no problem. It's open source after all. Just be aware that all the
> maintenance effort is for you as long as you remain out of tree.

We have to do this anyhow. But we'd prefer to do it the way that
requires least maintenance as described.
We need to have a *solution*. Not some academic hack that is "not wrong".

I think we can end the discussion here. I was hoping for more
technically valuable input, really.