Re: [RFCv2] Add a library to retrieve associated media devices - was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] experimental alsa stream support at xawtv3

Em 30-05-2011 04:14, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
> On Sunday, May 29, 2011 16:55:38 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Em 29-05-2011 10:30, Hans de Goede escreveu:

>> IMO, we should be reviewing this policy, for example, to name video output
>> devices as "video_out", and webcams as "webcam", and let udev to create
>> aliases for the old namespace.
>
> What categories of video devices do we have?
>
> - video (TV, HDMI et al) input
> - video output
> - sensor input (webcam-like)
> - mem2mem devices (input and/or output)
> - MPEG (compressed video) input
> - MPEG (compressed video) output

> - Weird: ivtv still captures audio over a video node, there may be others.

pvrusb2 also does that. Both are abusing of the V4L2 API: they should be using
alsa for audio output. I think that alsa provides support for mpeg-encoded
audio.

> My understanding is that in practice the difference between webcam and video
> input isn't that important (since you could hook up a camera to a video input
> device I'm not even sure that you should make that difference).

It is relevant for the users. For example, when you have for example a notebook
with its camera, and a TV harware, users and applications may want to know.
For example, a multimedia conference application will choose the webcam by
default.

> But input,
> output, mem2mem is important.

Yes.

> And so is compressed vs uncompressed.

Not really. There are several devices that provides compressed streams, like
most gspca hardware. Several of them allow you to select between a compressed
or a not-compressed formats.

What you're meaning by "compressed" is, in fact, input/outputs for the mpeg
encoder itself. So, I'd say that we have 2 different types of nodes there:
"encoder" and "decoder".

> Creating video_out and video_m2m nodes doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
>
> I don't know how to signal compressed vs uncompressed, though. Currently
> this is done through ENUM_FMT so it doesn't lend itself to using a different
> video node name, even though in practice video device nodes do not switch
> between compressed and uncompressed.

Just ivtv (and maybe cx18?) uses different devices for compressed stuff. All
other drivers use VIDIOC*FMT for it.