Re: [ANNOUNCE] experimental alsa stream support at xawtv3

Le mardi 24 mai 2011 17:09:45 Mauro Carvalho Chehab, vous avez écrit :
> If we do that, then all other places where the association between an alsa
> device and a video4linux node is needed will need to copy it, and we'll
> have a fork. Also, we'll keep needing it at v4l-utils, as it is now needed
> by the new version of v4l2-sysfs-path tool.
>
> Btw, this lib were created due to a request from the vlc maintainer that
> something like that would be needed. After finishing it, I decided to add
> it at xawtv in order to have an example about how to use it.

Hmm errm, I said VLC would need to be able to match a V4L2 device to an ALSA
input (where applicable). Currently, V4L2 devices are enumerated with
(lib)udev though. I am not very clear how v4l2-utils fits there (and oh, ALSA
is a bitch for udev-hotplugging but I'm getting side tracked).

I guess I misunderstood that /dev/media would logically group related devices.
Now I guess it is _solely_ intended to plug DSPs together à la OpenMAX IL.
Sorry about that.

> > Mauro, I plan to do a new v4l-utils release soon (*), maybe even today. I
> > consider it unpolite to revert other peoples commits, so I would prefer
> > for you to revert the install libv4l2util.a patch yourself. But if you
> > don't (or don't get around to doing it before I do the release), I will
> > revert it, as this clearly needs more discussion before making it into
> > an official release tarbal (we can always re-introduce the patch after
> > the release).
>
> I'm not a big fan or exporting the rest of stuff at libv4l2util.a either,
> but I think that at least the get_media_devices stuff should be exported
> somewhere, maybe as part of libv4l.

Should it be exposed as a udev device attribute instead then?

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/