Re: v4l2_mbus_framefmt and v4l2_pix_format

Hi Scott

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Scott Jiang wrote:

> Hi Hans and Laurent,
>
> I got fmt info from a video data source subdev, I thought there should
> be a helper function to convert these two format enums.
> However, v4l2_fill_pix_format didn't do this, why? Should I do this in
> bridge driver one by one?

Because various camera hosts (bridges) can produce different pixel formats
in memory from the same mediabus code. However, there is a very common way
to handle such video data in the bridge: store it in RAM in a "natural"
way. This mode is called in soc-camera the pass-through mode and there is
an API to handle this mode in drivers/media/video/soc_mediabus.c. If this
functionality is considered useful also outside of soc-camera, that API
can easily be made generic.

> I think these codes are common use, I prefer adding them in
> v4l2_fill_pix_format.

Thanks
Guennadi
---